Built by King Pagan Min in 1847 on the site where he lived prior to becoming king (actually his summer house).
The monastery today is a reconstruction from 1996, the original teak & stucco building having burnt down in 1890.
The design of the stupa is modelled on Shwe Zigon Zedi at Bagan. Houses the world’s largest book (the Tripitaka tablets).
Traffic, fumes, shops, everything every city has. It’s not dull but not amazing, not the exotic the name conjures up.
Built by King Mindon Min to commemorate his younger brother who was killed in the 1866 Myingun Prince rebellion.
Late-19th century the building was moved from the Royal Palace, saving it from WW II British bombing.
Built in 1241 by Queen Pwasaw. An inscription within the temple describes the donation of land & slaves from the queen.
Much controversy over built date. Some attribute the construction to King Narathu to atone for his wicked rule.
One of the few remaining “double cave” temples. Most of the “double cave” temples were made of wood.
Built to commemorate the site where King Nandaungmya was selected from his 4 brothers to be crown prince.
One of the most significant temples in Bagan & Myanmar serving as the prototype design for many large stupas.
In 1899 artwork was looted. Some stolen pieces were acquired by the Museum of Hamburg have since gone missing.