Built by King Mindon Min to commemorate his younger brother who was killed in the 1866 Myingun Prince rebellion.
Late-19th century the building was moved from the Royal Palace, saving it from WW II British bombing.
Built in 1241 by Queen Pwasaw. An inscription within the temple describes the donation of land & slaves from the queen.
Much controversy over built date. Some attribute the construction to King Narathu to atone for his wicked rule.
One of the few remaining “double cave” temples. Most of the “double cave” temples were made of wood.
Built to commemorate the site where King Nandaungmya was selected from his 4 brothers to be crown prince.
One of the most significant temples in Bagan & Myanmar serving as the prototype design for many large stupas.
In 1899 artwork was looted. Some stolen pieces were acquired by the Museum of Hamburg have since gone missing.
Built by King Uzana’s wife Thambula. Otherwise, an amazing place with nothing published about it.
Various sites between Old Bagan and New Bagan along the Irrawaddy River. Most without names or numbers.
Each year during the full moon of Pyatho the temple holds a three day festival to raise money for maintenance.
Bagan is home to the largest and densest concentration of Buddhist temples, pagodas, stupas and ruins in the world.